Release Notes for grml 2008.11 - codename Schluchtenscheisser
grml is a Debian-based Live-CD. It includes a collection of GNU/Linux software especially for users of texttools and system administrators. grml provides automatic hardware detection. You can use grml for example as a rescue system, for analyzing systems/networks or as a working environment. It is not necessary to install anything to a harddisk, you don't even need a harddisk to run it, unless you want to (use grml2hd for this). Due to on-the-fly decompression grml includes about 2.1GB of software and documentation on the CD.
Fixed several bugs and issues reported on grml_1.1 @ grml-wiki.
- grml-chroot: wrapper around chroot with proc/sys/pts/dev filesystem handling
- swspeak-setup: activating software speak(up) features (used withing the swspeak bootoption)
grml-live (build system for creating a grml (based) live-cd):
- several new packages in the different flavour classes
- improve error handling
- improve checks for -[no]lzma for different squashfs-tools
- output grml version in grml's live-initramfs script
- automatically activate grml-testing repository for devel releases and daily snapshots
- and several other updates... check out the Debian changelog for details
See grml.org/grml-live/ for more details regarding grml-live.
grml-debootstrap (wrapper around debootstrap for installing plain Debian via grml):
- Provide interactive configuration dialog if the configuration file wasn't set up.
- Initial support for SW-RAID.
- Use root=UUID=... by default if possible to avoid possible race conditions with libata vs. pata
- Use stages based on target information, this gives us the possibility to run multiple instance of grml-debootstrap.
- Use policy-rc.d inside chroot to avoid startup of daemons.
- Remove stages after successful execution.
- Move stages to /var/cache/grml-debootstrap.
- Install devices using our own device tarball instead of running MAKEDEV (which is just an ungly fork bomb).
- Run aptitude with --without-recommends option.
- Copy /etc/debootstrap/[s]bin as well to the chroot if they are present
- Allow symlinks when coping existing files to chroot
- Pre-seed packages using /etc/debootstrap/debconf-selections
- Support DEBOOTSTRAP_OPT for passing extra parameters to the debootstrap command
- Support KEEP_SRC_LIST to allow user to provide their own apt sources.list from /etc/debootstrap/etc/apt/sources.list
- and a lot more updates... check out the Debian changelog for details
Special thanks to Tong Sun for his contributions and to Sipwise GmbH for sponsoring development of grml-debootstrap.
See grml.org/grml-debootstrap/ for more details regarding grml-debootstrap.
Special new features:
- integration of vcs_info within Zsh prompt (demo screenshot)
- use random password if bootoption 'ssh' doesn't have an option (thanks to Michael Holzt and Marc Haber)
- (re-)implemented the isofrom and tohd bootoptions
- moved from syslog-ng to rsyslog
- added supported for swedish keyboard (thanks to Martin Karresand)
Based on vanilla kernel 22.214.171.124 including several patches and additional modules:
acx100 at76-usb atl2 aufs drbd8 gspca iscsitarget kqemu linux-uvc linux-wlan-ng loop-aes madwifi ndiswrapper openafs qc-usb rt2400 rt2500 rt73 sl-modem speakup squashfs tp-smapi virtualbox-ose-guest
See grml.org/kernel/ for more details regarding the grml-kernel.
Using a new version schema: as we want to improve tracking of all the different flavours and releases of grml we decided to use "$flavour $YYYY.MM" for the stable releases. No further confusing 'grml 1.1 vs. grml64 0.2'.
Switched from old IDE drivers to libata drivers. What might have been known as /dev/hdX on your system will become /dev/sdX nowadays.
Truecrypt isn't shipped anymore Because Truecrypt is licensed under a specific license named 'TrueCrypt License 2.6' which doesn't permit us to distribute Truecrypt. See section VI/4 of the license for details.
Locales provided via /usr/share/locale have been removed due to space reasons, though /usr/share/i18n/locales hasn't been modified as well as package specific files.
Packages / Software
Details about shipped packages and their versions on grml are available at the Debian section. See dpkg_get_selections for a main package listing and dpkg_list for a more detailed list of packages shipped with grml 2008.11.
Updated all packages to Debian Unstable branch by 20th of november 2008 (plus some further selected updates).
Removed 82 packages (excluding lib* and *2.6.23-grml*) - please notice that some of them are available under different names/in different packages:
*2.6.23-grml* lib* 915resolution a2ps apmd array-util automake1.8 base64 bazaar biew bluetooth-alsa clamav-getfiles cpp-4.2 cracklib2 cupsys-common dbishell debmake doc-base docbook-xml dumputils dvb-utils dviutils dynafont eciadsl elfsh emelfm fileutils firmware-ipw3945 fonty fttools g++-4.2 gcc-4.2 gconf2 gconf2-common genisoimage gksu glimpse gnome-keyring gs-esp gscanbus hydra icedax ipw3945d ipxripd isic lcap linda linneighborhood metastore mobilemesh mozilla-imagezoom ms-sys mutella ndiswrapper-utils ndiswrapper-utils-1.1 nmapfe nscd nufw nvclock o3read postgresql-client-8.2 qtparted raggle rain realtime-lsm rt73-common scrollkeeper smake sound-recorder squashfs-tools svgalibg1 syslog-ng sysutils traceproto tss type1inst unzoo upstreamdev vifm vnc-common xserver-xorg-video-newport xvncviewer xwatchwin zeroconf
Added 79 new packages (exluding lib* and *2.6.26-grml*):
aiccu bind9utils cciss-vol-status cnee cpp-4.3 cups cups-bsd cups-client cups-common cupsddk cupsddk-drivers discover discover-data dnsmasq-base dwdiff elinks-data ent espeakup ext3grep faketime fcoretools foomatic-filters freeradius-common g++-4.3 gcc-4.3 gcc-4.3-base genext2fs gfs2-tools gnuit grub-common i2c-tools iotop ipset john-data keynav latencytop lynx-cur mercurial-common mpg123 mtd-utils netcat-traditional odbcinst1debian1 openssh-blacklist openssl-blacklist openvas-client openvpn-blacklist pinentry-gtk2 python-cairo python-clientform python-debian python-feedparser python-gtk2 python-imaging python-mechanize python-newt python-numeric python-ogg python-pkg-resources qiv radvd rsyslog squashfs-lzma-tools sslscan syslinux-common tcl8.5 texlive-extra-utils tig tk8.5 ttf-unifont unixodbc xfonts-unifont xserver-xorg-video-geode xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-openchrome xserver-xorg-video-r128 xserver-xorg-video-radeon xulrunner-1.9 zenmap zoo
As usual you can upgrade your grml harddisk system to the latest grml version running 'apt-get update; apt-get install grml'. Take a look at the upgrading webpage in the grml-wiki as well. Notice: If you are using grml in a productive environment and/or use a grml2hd installation we strongly recommend to subscribe to the grml-user mailinglist!
Major changes since release 1.1 (20080224)
- Migration from Mercurial to Git.
- Developer related mailinglists moved from mlmmj to mailmain setup at ml.grml.org.
Download grml 2008.11
grml 2008.11 can be downloaded from mirrors listed on grml.org/download/.
Your comments, bug reports, patches, and suggestions will help fix bugs and improve future releases. If you find a problem with the release please check grml_2008.11 @ grml-wiki and report problems using information on grml.org/bugs/. Please send your feedback, feature requests and bug reports to the grml-team!
Many thanks in this release go to Tong Sun, Martin Karresand, Ralf Schlatterbeck, Thomas Köhler, Peter Palfrader, Michael Holzt, Florian Schuele, Marc Haber, Sipwise GmbH, Charles Hewson, Thomas Lehmann, Christian Vogel, Andreas Roedl and Christian Hofstaedtler for their contributions. Many thanks also to the ones of you who donated something to the grml-team and of course to all those who have sent feedback since the last release!
To sign up for future grml announcements, please subscribe to grml's announcement list.