Release Notes for Grml 2011.05-rc1 - codename Just Mari
Notice: Grml 2011.05-rc1 is a RELEASE CANDIDATE and not yet the stable release!
Grml is a bootable live system (Live-CD) based on Debian. It includes a collection of GNU/Linux software especially for system administrators and users of texttools. Grml provides automatic hardware detection. Grml is the perfect rescue system, but you can also use it for analyzing systems/networks or as a working environment. It is not necessary to install anything to a harddisk; you don't even need a harddisk to run it. Due to on-the-fly decompression Grml includes about 2 GB of software and documentation on the live system.
- New Linux kernel version based on 184.108.40.206
- Initramfs is now XZ compressed (smaller)
- /run has been introduced
Special new features:
- dns= bootoption allows for specifying static nameservers.
- grml-feedback, a commandline application for providing feedback to the Grml Team via feedback.grml.org.
- Easier syntax for grml-quickconfig menu files, existing menu files are still valid.
- grml2iso small ISOs: grml2iso can now output small ISOs (~ 20MB) with only kernel and initrd. These are meant to be used with fetch=.
- iPXE has replaced gPXE.
- Core scripts previously found in grml-scripts are now shipped as grml-scripts-core to facilitate reuse on plain Debian systems.
- Due to popular demand, the ratpoison window manager is included once again.
- grml-debootstrap adds the security repository for stable and testing installations.
- grml-quickconfig will be executed on grml-small.
- More complicated disk configurations (LVM and SW-RAID, though not stacked on each other) are supported when booting Grml via grml-rescueboot or with the findiso= and live-media= bootoptions.
Based on vanilla kernel 220.127.116.11 including several patches and additional modules:
aufs iscsitarget ndiswrapper openafs speakup sysprof tp-smapi virtualbox-ose-guest xtables-addons
Visit grml.org/kernel/ for more details regarding Grml's kernel. (Note that lzma and squashfs are now part of the mainline kernel.)
Fixed several bugs and issues reported in the bug tracking system.
Packages / Software
Updated all packages to Debian Unstable branch by 15th of May 2011 (plus some further selected updates).
Removed 80 packages (excluding lib* and *2.6.36-grml*) - please notice that some of them are available under different names/in different packages:
*2.6.36-grml* lib* 3270-common asn1c backuppc c3270 cdda2wav cedet-common cfengine2 console-terminus cpp-4.4 csstidy ctrlproxy detachtty dired doxygen eieio ekeyd g++-4.4 gcc-4.2-base gcc-4.4 glipper-nognome hal hal-info iamerican ispell libafterimage0 libaudio-scrobbler-perl log2mail lua5.1 modconf mp3c muscletools nilfs2-tools noshell opie-client orpheus perl-suid portmap postfix-ldap pperl prismstumbler python-openssl pytris qprof rc s3switch samba-common-bin sbm spell spellutils spicctrl tasksel tasksel-data tetradraw tiny tn5250 unrar-free user-setup viewglob weechat weechat-core weechat-curses weechat-plugins weechat-scripts xcardii xfaces xmms2 xmms2-client-cli xmss2-core xmms2-icon xmms2-plugin-alsa xmms2-plugin-id3v2 xmms2-plugin-jack xmms2-plugin-mad xmms2-plugin-vorbis xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-geode xserver-xorg-video-nv xtables-addons-common yatm zec
Added 27 new packages (exluding lib* and *2.6.38-grml*):
clipit console-setup-linux cpp-4.6 etherboot-qemu firmware-realtek g++-4.6 gcc-4.6 gcc-4.6-base gir1.2-glib-2.0 git-man grml-feedback grml-scripts-core gs-cjk-resource nginx-common nginx-full nvidia-common openafs-client qemu-keymaps qemu-utils ratpoison rdfind rpcbind rs ruby-ncurses seabios snmp v4l-utils
Major news since release 2010.12
- Grml development blog moved to a new home - now available at blog.grml.org.
- Results of the Grml user survey have been published.
- German magazine c't extra Netzwerke 01/2011 featured a special edition of Grml 2010.12.
- German Linux Magazine 03/11 featured Grml 2010.12 on DVD (DELUG version).
Download Grml 2011.05-rc1
Grml 2011.05-rc1-rc1 can be downloaded from grml.org/download/prerelease/.
Your comments, bug reports, patches, and suggestions will help fixing bugs and improving future releases. If you find a problem with the release please check grml_2011.05 @ grml-wiki and report problems using information on grml.org/bugs/. Please send your feedback and feature requests to the Grml team!
The Grml team specially wants to thank Marianne, you know who you are!
Many thanks in this release go to (alphabetically) Andreas Korsten, Axel Beckert. Bernhard Tittelbach, Bert Schulze, Christoph Biedl, Dennis Hoppe, Faheem Mitha, Joerg Mueller, Johann Felix Soden, Jordi Funollet, Jordan Uggla, K. Wulff, Lukas Prokop, Martin Scharm, Matthias Kopfermann, Michael Renner, Moritz Augsburger, Richard Hartmann, Roger Leigh, Sebastian Boehm, Sedat Dilek, Thomas Koehler, Thorsten Glaser, Vsevolod Kozlov, for their contributions.
We also would like to thank everyone who filled out the Grml user survey 2011.
Release of the stable version
The stable release of Grml 2011.05 is scheduled for end of May 2011.
To sign up for future Grml announcements, please subscribe to Grml's announcement list.
If you are interested in development releases grab the daily ISOs from daily.grml.org.
Please feel free to contact us.