Release Notes for Grml 2013.09-rc1 - codename Hefeknuddler
This Grml release provides fresh software packages after the Debian stable release (AKA wheezy) has been released. As usual it also incorporates up2date hardware support and fixes known bugs from the previous Grml release.
- new boot option encpasswd: takes a hashed password as argument, setting password of users root and grml to the specified value
- grml-hwinfo supports iproute's ip tool, sg_inq from sg3-utils and lscpu, lsblk, dmsetup ls --tree
- grml-lang includes french keymap support
- UTC is used as default time zone, to use a different setting you can use the tz boot option (usage example: tz=Europe/Vienna)
- To match the behaviour with the ssh boot option the passwd boot option now also sets the password for user root - and not only for user 'grml'.
- grml-autoconfig (and its GRMLCFG feature) doesn't support floppy disks any longer
- zshrc: new prompt handling, see Grml blog for more details
- zshrc: to enable power completion / abbreviation expansion use "ctrl-x ." instead of ",." (see debian/NEWS for details)
- Grml does not ship clamav anti-virus definitions any longer due to space reasons (adding ~70MB to the ISO size). If you want to get up2date anti-virus definitions please manually invoke the freshclam utility.
Bits & bolts
- Linux kernel is based on 3.10.10.
- Fixed several bugs from the bug tracking system.
Packages are taken from Debian testing, 10th of September 2013. 5 packages have been removed, and these 32 new packages have been added (plus dependencies, excluding lib* and kernel image):
ash augeas-lenses clonezilla dconf-gsettings-backend dconf-service debugedit dh-python drbl fonts-dejavu-core gcc-4.8-base info init-system-helpers iproute2 nwipe puppet puppet-common python3 python3-minimal python3.3 python3.3-minimal ruby-augeas ruby-safe-yaml ruby-shadow tasksel tasksel-data wakeonlan xdg-utils xpdf xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse xulrunner-17.0 zsh-common
These Grml packages have been removed/replaced (excluding lib* and kernel image):
epdfview febootstrap makedev python-gnupginterface xulrunner-10.0
- Issue1274: grml-terminalserver fails to set up NFS version 3, resulting in unbootable PXE clients [fixed for stable release]
Download Grml 2013.09-rc1
Grml 2013.09-rc1 can be downloaded from grml.org/download/prerelease/.
Your comments, bug reports, patches, and suggestions will help fixing bugs and improving future releases. If you find a problem with the release please check the known bugs list and report problems using information on grml.org/bugs/. Please send your feedback and feature requests to the Grml team!
Many thanks in this release go to (alphabetically) Andreas Gredler, Benedikt Morbach, Bernhard Tittelbach, Christian Hesse, Christian Hofstaedtler, Falko Mach, Jan Hruban, Jordan Uggla, Joe Stingel, ludinator. Lukas Prokop, Martin Šlouf, Moritz Molle, Peter Palfrader, Thorsten Glaser, Till Maas, Ulrich Dangel and Ziirish for their contributions.
To sign up for future Grml announcements, please subscribe to Grml's announcement list.