Release Notes for Grml 2014.11 - codename Gschistigschasti
This Grml release provides fresh software packages from Debian testing (AKA jessie). As usual it also incorporates up2date hardware support and fixes known bugs from the previous Grml release.
- new boot option getfile.retries=...: by specifying a number it controls the number of download retries for the netscript=... and netscript=... boot options (defaults to '10' if unset), usage example: 'getfile.retries=42'
- grml2usb: improved check for bootflag, new option --skip-bootflag and Python3 support
- grml-quickconfig: display IP and password if ssh boot option is used
- grml-lang: support language settings for Italy
- grml-hwinfo: support i2c-tools's decode-dimms, edac-utils and mcelog
- rework and unify $PATH handling
- several improvements in battery information/reporting (incl. support for FreeBSD + OpenBSD)
- extend dchange() to support apt-get and multiple package names
- Adjust locale handling (LANG/LANGUAGE) to match with Debian wheezy defaults
- Initial packer/vagrant/autotest setup
- New option --vm to install VMs into LVs and such
- New option --defaultinterfaces to install default /etc/network/interfaces
- Set up default /etc/network/interfaces with dhcp for eth0 in VM use case
- Copy /etc/network/interfaces from host system, unless --nointerfaces is used or target is a VM
- Support --nokernel option to skip installation of default kernel images
- Support execution of --grub when installing to target directory
- Switch default filesystem from ext3 to ext4
- Provide --debug option for very verbose execution
- Switch from http.debian.net to ftp.debian.org as default mirror in grml-live: because of unreliable mirror usage with http.debian.net the grml-live system uses ftp.debian.org as its main mirror
Bits & bolts
- Linux kernel is based on 3.16.7.
- Fixed several bugs from the bug tracking system.
Packages are taken from Debian testing, 14th of November 2014. 15 packages have been removed, and these 26 new packages have been added (plus dependencies, excluding lib* and kernel image):
adwaita-icon-theme augeas-tools cpp-4.9 debconf-utils dmeventd firmware-zd1211 gcc-4.9-base glib-networking glib-networking-common glib-networking-services gsettings-desktop-schemas hicolor-icon-theme hiera init iperf isolinux pxelinux python-parted python-prettytable python-pyparsing python-six python3.4 python3.4-minimal ruby2.1 rubygems-integration startpar
These Debian packages have been removed/replaced (excluding lib* and kernel image):
acpi-fakekey cpp-4.8 gcc-4.7-base gptsync info install-info lio-utils module-init-tools python3.3 python3.3-minimal qemu-keymaps ruby1.9.1 tsconf xulrunner-24.0 zd1211-firmware
Please visit the known bugs webpage.
Download Grml 2014.11
Grml 2014.11 can be downloaded from grml.org/download/.
Your comments, bug reports, patches, and suggestions will help fixing bugs and improving future releases. If you find a problem with the release please check the known bugs list and report problems using information on grml.org/bugs/. Please send your feedback and feature requests to the Grml team!
Many thanks in this release go to (alphabetically) Andreas Gredler, Charles A. Hewson Christian Hofstaedtler, Dansan, Elias Probst, Erik Bernstein, Florian Apolloner, Florian Klien, Joeran, Krisztian VASAS, Marco d'Itri, Markus Rekkenbeil, Martin F. Krafft, Michael Renner, Michael Schierl, Moviuro, Patrick Schleizer and Thilo Six for their contributions.
To sign up for future Grml announcements, please subscribe to Grml's announcement list.