Release Notes for Grml 2013.02 - codename Grumpy Grinch
This release brings the Grml tools towards the upcoming Debian stable release (AKA wheezy), provides up2date hardware support and fixes known bugs from the previous Grml release.
- ssh boot option: display SSH server key fingerprints
- grml-hwinfo: added support for lsscsi, iscsiadm, proxmox/libvirt/openvz/vserver information retrieval, swapon, mdadm, LVM + dmsetup, now using 'lspci -nn' for lspci output
- grml-live: handling firmware related packages in GRMLBASE, added uuid-runtime to GRMLBASE
- grml-network: netcardconfig provides support to scan for available wireless networks
- grml-udev-config: Do not set mount options for NTFS partitions to "ro" any longer
- grml2usb: verify that the bootflag is enabled
- grml2iso: ISOs are dd-able by default
- Use http.debian.net as default mirror
- Set wheezy as the new default release
- Add acpi-support-base + firmware-linux-free to default package selection
- /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list no longer uses cdn.debian.net for the Debian repository, instead uses snapshot.debian.org with the according release date. This should make installation of additional software with regards to additional dependencies easier for users.
- Debian's live-boot changed the path from /live/image to /lib/live/mount/medium. If you're using /live/image anywhere inside your own custom scripts please adopt your code to use /lib/live/mount/medium starting with Grml 2013.02.
- Debian's live-boot changed some persistency related settings. Please visit the persistency page in the Grml wiki for further details.
Bits & bolts
- Linux kernel is based on 3.7.9. No additional modules are shipped.
- Fixed several bugs from the bug tracking system.
Packages are taken from Debian testing, 26th of February 2013. 13 packages have been removed, and these 22 new packages have been added (plus dependencies, excluding lib* and kernel image):
aptitude-common atmel-firmware bluez-firmware cpp-4.7 cryptsetup-bin epdfview firmware-atheros firmware-bnx2 firmware-bnx2x firmware-intelwimax firmware-libertas firmware-linux genisoimage ifenslave-2.6 insserv libertas-firmware netsniff-ng ruby1.9.1 ssmping uuid-runtime virt-what zd1211-firmware
These Grml packages have been removed/replaced (excluding lib* and kernel image):
arrayprobe consolekit cpp-4.6 fuse-utils gcc-4.5-base gcc-4.6-base grub info linux-sound-base smbfs tasksel tasksel-data xorriso
None at the time of the release!
Download Grml 2013.02
Grml 2013.02 can be downloaded from grml.org/download/.
Your comments, bug reports, patches, and suggestions will help fixing bugs and improving future releases. If you find a problem with the release please check the known bugs list and report problems using information on grml.org/bugs/. Please send your feedback and feature requests to the Grml team!
Many thanks in this release go to (alphabetically) Andras Korn, Bernhard Tittelbach, Charles A. Hewson, Christian Hesse, Christian Hofstaedtler, Christoph Biedl, Csillag Tamas, Dominik Schips, Evan Pitstick, Florian Apolloner, Florian Klien, frenbu, Gregor Herrmann, Hendrik Jaeger, Lukas Anzinger, Pawel Sadkowski , Peter Palfrader, Pierre Schmitz, Raoul Raminder Andreas, Thorsten Glaser and Ulrich Dangel for their contributions.
To sign up for future Grml announcements, please subscribe to Grml's announcement list.