Release Notes for Grml 2012.05 - codename Ponyhof
After the downsizing and cleanup release 2011.12 this release brings some additional tools and the grml-small flavour is back again.
- grml-hwinfo: Support numactl to retrieve NUMA information
- Re-add simplified support for brltty
- Support 9p-virtio filesystem for mounting the DCS-directory (Debs, Configuration and Scripts - see man grml-autoconfig)
- The ssh bootoption sets the specified/generated ssh password for user 'grml' and (new) for root
- Using /media as default mount target
- Dropped the grml-feedback tool
Bits & bolts
- Linux kernel is based on 3.3.7. No additional modules are shipped.
- Fixed several bugs from the bug tracking system.
- Booting Grml via PXE? Do not forget to add the live-media-path=... bootoption, otherwise booting will fail with 'No supported filesystem images found at /live'. Usage instructions: live-media-path=/live/$FLAVOUR (where $FLAVOUR corresponds to grml64-full, grml32-full, grml64-small, grml32-small) - for further details visit terminalserver page in the Grml-Wiki.
- Booting Grml from hard disk? Do not forget to add the live-media-path=... bootoption. Or even better: use grml-rescueboot. Full details at rescueboot in the Grml-Wiki.
Details about shipped packages and their versions on Grml are available at the Debian section.
Packages are taken from Debian testing, 28th of May 2012. These 54 new packages have been added (plus dependencies, excluding lib* and kernel image):
buffer cifs-utils comgt console-setup-linux consolekit dctrl-tools disktype dos2unix ewf-tools exfat-fuse exfat-utils firmware-myricom firmware-netxen firmware-qlogic flashrom fsarchiver gcc-4.5-base gcc-4.7-base genext2fs hexedit hostapd iftop imvirt-helper info ipmitool iptstate ipxe-qemu irssi kmod live-boot-grml-doc lrzsz lzop mc-data memtester mosh numactl open-vm-tools pppoeconf rfkill ser2net slurm smbfs sysstat tasksel tasksel-data tcptraceroute usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data vlock wireshark wvdial xmount xorriso xulrunner-10.0
These 7 Debian packages have been removed/replaced (excluding lib* and kernel image):
console-terminus gcc-4.4-base genisoimage ipxe python-central python-pexpect xulrunner-8.0
None at the time of the release!
Download Grml 2012.05
Grml 2012.05 can be downloaded from grml.org/download/.
Your comments, bug reports, patches, and suggestions will help fixing bugs and improving future releases. If you find a problem with the release please check the known bugs list and report problems using information on grml.org/bugs/. Please send your feedback and feature requests to the Grml team!
Many thanks in this release go to (alphabetically) Axel Beckert, Charles A. Hewson, ChiCuong HA, Christian Hofstaedtler, Christoph Biedl, Christopher Schramm, Conny Seidel, Csillag Tamas, Florian Apolloner, Frank Prochnow, Heinz Ahrens, Holger Baust, John S. Skogtvedt, Jordan Uggla, Laurent CARON, Marco d'Itri, Markus Ulrich, Martin Koeppe, Matthias Strubel, Michael Hanke, Michael Renner, Michael Schierl, Paul Menzel, Pawel azhag Sadkowski, Thomas Arendsen Hein, Thorsten Glaser, Thorsten Leemhuis, Timo Boettcher, Tom Oehser, Ulrich Dangel and Vincent McIntyre for their contributions.
To sign up for future Grml announcements, please subscribe to Grml's announcement list.